Data Science: Natural Language Processing (NLP) in Python
In this course you will build MULTIPLE practical systems using natural language processing, or NLP – the branch of machine learning
and data science that deals with text and speech. This course is not part of my deep learning series, so it doesn’t contain any hard
math – just straight up coding in Python. All the materials for this course are FREE.
After a brief discussion about what NLP is and what it can do, we will begin building very useful stuff. The first thing we’ll build is a
spam detector. You likely get very little spam these days, compared to say, the early 2000s, because of systems like these.
Next we’ll build a model for sentiment analysis in Python. This is something that allows us to assign a score to a block of text that tells
us how positive or negative it is. People have used sentiment analysis on Twitter to predict the stock market.
More to read about Course
Finally, we end the course by building an article spinner. This is a very hard problem and even the most popular products out there these
days don’t get it right. These lectures are designed to just get you started and to give you ideas for how you might improve on them yourself.
Once mastered, you can use it as an SEO, or search engine optimization tool. Internet marketers everywhere will love you if you can do this for them!
This course focuses on “how to build and understand“, not just “how to use”. Anyone can learn to use an API in 15 minutes after reading some
documentation. It’s not about “remembering facts”, it’s about “seeing for yourself” via experimentation. It will teach you how to visualize what’s
happening in the model internally. If you want more than just a superficial look at machine learning models, this course is for you.
Who is the target audience?
- Students who are comfortable writing Python code, using loops, lists, dictionaries, etc.
- Students who want to learn more about machine learning but don’t want to do a lot of math
- Professionals who are interested in applying machine learning and NLP to practical problems like spam detection, Internet marketing,
and sentiment analysis
- This course is NOT for those who find the tasks and methods listed in the curriculum too basic.
- This course is NOT for those who don’t already have a basic understanding of machine learning and Python coding.
- Install Python, it’s free!
- You should be at least somewhat comfortable writing Python code
- Install numerical libraries for Python such as Numpy, Scipy, Scikit-learn, Matplotlib, and BeautifulSoup
- Some familiarity with PCA, Markov Models, Logistic Regression
What Will I Learn?
- Write your own spam detection code in Python
- Write your own sentiment analysis code in Python
- Perform latent semantic analysis or latent semantic indexing in Python
- Have an idea of how to write your own article spinner in Python
Course Title: Data Science: Natural Language Processing (NLP) in Python